Monday, December 14, 2015

The Main Thing

We had planned it for a couple of weeks. The Hubster, my mother and I were heading to Jerusalem on an important mission. The babysitter had shown up and we were all set to go when I read this headline :

 http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/204892#.Vm7Dp7-4rLs

Over the last couple of months of stabbings, shootings and car rammings, I feel, along with the rest of my people here, in the land that we love so dearly, that breathing can sometimes feel elusive. That sometimes the agony and the pain runs so deep, that it can be literally near impossible to catch our breath.

This afternoon, an Arab driver plowed into commuters standing at a bus stop next to iconic Chords Bridge, including a baby in serious condition.This was the exact location that we would be disembarking the bus and going to catch the next bus to bring us directly to our destination.

My first thought was, maybe we shouldn't go. But then the terrorists win.
My next thought, both Hubster and I are going together...Maybe one of us should stay behind. What if there's an attack and we both get hurt (or worse)? What will become of our children?
The following thought occurred while already on the bus and it was the one I chose to focus on:

A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd;​ I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures:​
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul:
He leads me in the paths of righteous​ness for his name's sake.
Thoug​h I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death,
I will fear no evil: for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies: You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows​.
Surel​y goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

We took the bus. We passed the scene of the attack. I continued to breathe slowly and steadily and with Hubster's gentle prodding, I reminded myself that the main thing is not to fear at all.

With Love,
Cigal

No comments:

Post a Comment